"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin
Thursday, May 15, 2003
Why is it that if it comes out of the mouth of George W.
, the media just assumes it is the gospel and reports
it as such?
If the media were a government owned agency I could understand.
If we were a nation of oppressed people. Or un-educated people, or even under-educated people, I could
understand the willingness of the masses to just accept everything they are told. If we had no choice ,
if we had no rights, it would be understandable.
But we are not. We live in a free country. Don't we?
It is the responsibility of the media, the right of the people to question, to probe, but never to
What happened to investigative journalism? Where are the men and women who ferreted out Watergate?
What happened to all those journalist that exposed Monica-gate?
Have they ALL jumped on the Republican bandwagon and are waving at the rest of us from their parade of
rich, good ole boys'?
Isn't there anyone in the broadcast media that is the least bit Democrat? Or at least Independant?
Why is anyone who dares to critize the President labled un-patriotic?
Why are WE THE PEOPLE letting the media get away with this?
How are we going to have a Presidential campagin in 2004, if no one is allowed to point out George's failures?
Or to at least offer alternatives to his policies.
Does anyone even care about the economy? Have the vast majority of Americans not noticed that we
have the largest deficit in US history? Why isn't anyone talking about health care? Or Social Sercurity?
Why is it that all anyone in the news media seems to care about is the Middle East and what is going
on over there?
Why do I feel like I am one of very few voices crying out in the forgotten land of America?
Here's a joke for you...
Define an elephant.
A mouse built to government specifications. (this must be why Republicans use the elephant as their mascot)
Tuesday, May 13, 2003
Do you remember the good ole days? Well Bud
and I share some of the same recalls. Which brings me back to a question I ask before...
Where the hell are the Democrats?
Someone please tell me there is a better candidate out there than that motley crew that met down in South ( or was it North) Carolina a few days ago. Because if that is the cream of the crop...democrats are in deep poo poo. Surely they are not waiting on Hillary to come out and declare her bid for President. I like the lady, but she doesn't have a chance in hell of beating dubya as long as she keeps that anchor she has tied to her tail.
Democrats better make a move soon, or that 'chill wind ' that is blowing through our nation is going to turn into a deep freeze.
Of course with the whore-izing of the media
(more specifically the broadcast media) that is going on...I don't know that any candidate stands a chance. When large blocks of the media are owned by rich Republicans like Rupert Murdoch, who in turn staff their cable news networks with the likes of Bill O'Reilly, John Gibson, and Sean Hannity. What hope has anyone other than a Republican got of getting fair and UNbiased coverage?
This all reminds me of a passage in Revalations where it fortells of a time when the world will be ruled by a great beast, and the one who presents himself as Godly but is instead the epitome of evil.
Is there any hope left?
Let's get back on track...
A few days ago (5/5) I mentioned that it is my opinion that the media has/is failing in their job. I guess I got my point across, but here is a link to someone who says it so much better than I ever could.
This is an excellent article.
Why aren't more Americans listening?
When The Media Fails
Here is a link to a speech given by Tim Robbins to the National Press Club in Washington D.C.
A Chill Wind is Blowing in This Nation
I realize this is going to appear a bit out of character for me. But never let it be said I lean so far to the left that I don't recognize a good deal when I see one.
This comes via the kboco : diarrhea
Robin Williams plan for US policy
Leave it to Robin Williams to come up with the perfect plan... what we need now is for our UN Ambassador to stand up and repeat this message. Robin Williams' plan...(Hard to argue with this logic!)
I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace. So, here's one plan:
1) The US will apologize to the world for our "interference" in their affairs, past & present. We will promise never to "interfere" again.
2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany, South Korea and the Philippines. They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No more sneaking through holes in the fence.
3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of who or where they are. France would welcome them.
4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 day visits unless given a special permit. No one from a terrorist nation would be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself, don't hide here. Asylum would not ever be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers.
5) No "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a "D" and it's back home, baby.
6) The US will make a strong effort to become self sufficient energy wise. This will include developing non polluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.
7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else.
8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not "interfere". They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides, most of what we give them gets "lost" or is taken by their army. The people who need it most get very little, anyway.
9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an island some place. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, it would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.
9b) Use the buildings as replacement for the twin towers.
10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer.
Now, ain't that a winner of a plan.
"The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying 'Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses.' She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'You want a piece of me?'"
Monday, May 12, 2003
This is a plea to anyone who reads this blog, and has had a link added here.
I have lost the orginal template and with it all my links...
I would appreciate your sending me an email with your link and any that you think I might want to add.
Or, you can just put it in the comments box.
Thanks in advance.
A few days ago (5/9) I mentioned seeing a something about FOX News being investigated in England for alleged bias. I couldn't remember what the name of the program was, but I did know that I hadn't seen anything else about it anywhere in the news.
Considering that FOXNews credits themselves as being "fair and UNbiased" I found it interesting that they are being investigated for the very thing they claim NOT to be. I also find it interesting that we haven't heard more about it. To me this seems like the kind of thing that CNN and MSNBC would be all over.
Anyway, if you want to read more about it here is a link---
Claims of Bias
for this info!
Sunday, May 11, 2003
It looks like I may lose this blog....the entire template has disappeared. This is very annoying!
By Martin Luther King III and Greg Palast
Originally published May 8, 2003
Today, there is a new and real threat to minority voters, this time from cyberspace: computerized purges of voter rolls.The menace first appeared in Florida in the November 2000 presidential election. While the media chased butterfly ballots and hanging chads, a much more sinister and devastating attack on voting rights went almost undetected.
In the two years before the elections, the Florida secretary of state's office quietly ordered the removal of 94,000 voters from the registries. Supposedly, these were convicted felons who may not vote in Florida. Instead, the overwhelming majority were innocent of any crime, though just over half were black or Hispanic.
Astonishingly, Congress adopted the absurdly named "Help America Vote Act," which requires every state to replicate Florida's system of centralized, computerized voter files before the 2004 election. The controls on the 50 secretaries of state are few -- and the temptation to purge voters of the opposition party enormous.
[editors note] Looks like the we can look forward to another election fiasco, resulting in Bush being 'appointed' to the Presidency. What is wrong with the Democrats and Independents that they can come together to put a stop to this? Is our society doomed to be led by rich ole white boys (with their token Uncle Tom's in high profile , but low impact positions)?